Volleyball Preview: Cal Poly, Baylor, Colorado State
Video Stream: Big Sky TV
The Bears face Cal Poly at 7 p.m. Friday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion and host Baylor at 7 p.m. Saturday. Northern Colorado then travels to Fort Collins on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. match against Colorado State at Moby Arena.
* The Bears are 0-1 all-time against Baylor, with that loss coming in five games in 2011. Northern Colorado has never faced Cal Poly but is 6-16 all-time against in-state foe Colorado State.
* The Cal Poly Mustangs of the Big West Conference went 4-26 last season. Baylor and Colorado State fared significantly better, posting marks of 20-12 and 21-8, respectively.
* The Bears were selected third in the Big Sky Conference preseason coaches' poll. They finished behind Portland State and Idaho State and also one point ahead of North Dakota. In last season's Big Sky Championship tournament, the Bears defeated all three of those teams in route to their third NCAA Tournament appearance in four years.
* Freshman setter Ashley Guthrie omes to Northern Colorado from Saugus High
School in Saugus, Calif. She was her high school's career and single-season assists leader with 3,541 and 1,017, respectively. She had 40 assists in UNC's alumnae match Aug. 24.
* After one year as a starter, libero Merideth Johnson has already left her mark at Northern Colorado. Johnson, now a senior, finished last season with 515 digs, the third most in a season Northern Colorado's Division I history.
* Strong also had an incredible 2012 hitting the ball. She led the conference in overall hitting percentage (.370) and hitting percentage in conference matches at .403, the highest such mark since the league started tracking the stat in 1990.