Bears Soccer prepares for final road weekend of 2013
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky notes
GREELEY -- The Bears soccer team prepares this week for the final road weekend of the 2013 regular season. Two wins last weekend helped put Northern Colorado in third place in the Big Sky standings as the team now goes to Flagstaff, Ariz., and Cedar City, Utah.
Northern Colorado (7-4-3, 3-1-1 Big Sky) takes its final Big Sky road trip while traveling to Northern Arizona (7-4-3, 3-2 Big Sky) and Southern Utah (4-9-1, 1-3-1 Big Sky). The Bears are hoping to keep a three game win streak intact while holding a 1-4-2 record on the road. UNC is tied for second in the Big Sky standings.
UNC swept its previous weekend opponents Eastern Washington and Montana, outscoring the two teams 6-1 at home. The Bears opened against the Eagles and got two goals in two minutes from Rebecca Lancia and Big Sky Co-Offensive Player of the Week Danielle Birdsall to come back and win, 2-1. UNC followed on Sunday with a more lopsided event, scoring three of the day's four goal off corner kicks. The Bears beat the Grizzlies, 4-0.
Northern Arizona will play host to Northern Colorado in its final home weekend at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 18 at Max Spilsbury Field. The Lumberjacks enter the game with the same record as the Bears, but split its last weekend of action.
NAU opened on Friday against Sacramento State and cruised to a 3-0 win. Haley Wingender scored her fifth goal of the season in the 32nd minute to guide the scoring route. The two other goals followed in the 34th and the 68th minute. Sacramento State was held to one shot on goal.
Northern Arizona began its Sunday match against Portland State with a score in the 17th `minute, but gave up the tying goal in the 62nd. After advancing to overtime, the Vikings scored the game-winner in the 96th minute.
The Thunderbirds and Bears meet at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 20 at Thunderbird Park Complex in Cedar City, Utah. The Thunderbirds enter the weekend tied for seventh in the Big Sky standings after tying and losing in its previous weekend of action.
Southern Utah and Portland State went the full 110 minutes (including two overtimes) without a goal scored. The final stood at 0-0.
Sacramento State began scoring early against Southern Utah as the visiting team scored in the 15th, 49th, 61st and 80th minutes. The Thunderbirds only totaled two shots on goal for the day in the 4-0 loss.
Game 15: Northern Colorado (7-4-3, 3-1-1 Big Sky) vs. Northern Arizona (7-4-3, 3-2 Big Sky)
When: 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18
Where: Max Spilsbury Field – Flagstaff, Ariz.
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (129-120-26 @ UNC) vs. NAU – Andre Luciano (97-113-36 @ NAU)
All-time series: UNC, 5-4-0
2005 Northern Arizona 3-0
2006 Northern Colorado 2-1
2007 Northern Colorado 1-0
2008 Northern Arizona 2-1
2009 Northern Colorado 4-0
2010 Northern Arizona 1-0
2010 Northern Arizona 1-0 – Big Sky Tournament Semi-Final
2011 Northern Colorado 2-0
2012 Northern Colorado 5-0
Game 16: Northern Colorado (7-4-3, 3-1-1 Big Sky) vs. Southern Utah (4-9-1, 1-3-1 Big Sky)
When: 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 20
Where: Thunderbird Park Complex – Cedar City, Utah
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (129-120-26 @ UNC) vs. SUU – Becky Hogan (4-9-1 @ UM)
All-time series: SUU – 0-1-3
2004 Tied 0-0 (2OT)
2008 Southern Utah 3-1
2010 Tied 1-1
2012 Tied 1-1
- The Bears is now 8-5 all-time in Big Sky home weekend openers.
- Since a 4-1 loss at Creighton on Sept. 1, the Bears have allowed more than one goal just once, including six shutouts, and are 6-1-3 in that span.
- UNC has outscored its opponents 8-2 in its four game undefeated streak.
- UNC is 1-3 all-time in the regular season at NAU and 0-1-1 all-time at SUU.
- Northern Colorado last lost to Northern Arizona in 2010, 2-0 in two games since, and to Southern Utah in 2008, 0-0-2 in two games since.
- Three current Bears have scored against Northern Arizona in previous seasons. Alexsys Tamayo scored one in a 2-0 win in 2011, Brittany Dunn has scored three including one in the 2-0 win in 2011 and two in a 5-0 win in 2012. Juliana Grover also scored two against NAU in 2012 in the 5-0 victory.
- Senior Danielle Birdsall is the only Bear to have scored a goal against Southern Utah coming in a 1-1 tie in 2010.
- The Big Sky Co-Offensive Player of the Week honor is Birdsall's second of her career.
- Birdall moved into 14th all-time in program history in points while assisting on two goals against Montana on Oct. 13, 2013.
- Senior goalkeeper Natalie D'Adamio moved into eighth place all-time in program history in saves against the University of North Dakota on Oct. 4. She has 159 in her career and is behind Shanna Swinehart with 190.
- The Bears had three true freshmen tally assists against Nebraska-Omaha on Aug. 30, the first time happening in one game in the program's Division I history.
Big Sky Notes
- In Big Sky action, sophomore Essence Ortiz-Laneir is fourth in points per game (1.20), tied for fourth in points (6), tied for first in goals (3) and is tied for first in points per game (.60).
- Also in Big Sky action, sophomore Rebecca Lancia is second in assists per game (.60), tied for second in assists (3), tied for fifth in points per game (1.00) and tied for ninth in points (5). She is first in the Big Sky in total regular season assists with 5 and assists per game with .42.
- D'Adamio is first in the Big Sky in total regular season games in save percentage (.837), second in total saves (77), third in saves per game (5.50), third in goals against average (1.06) and tied for third in shutouts (5).
- Senior Chandler Guetz moved into a tie for seventh in Big Sky goals scored with two against Montana on Oct. 13, 2013.