Bears prepare for long soccer week with match at Cowgirls
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky notes
GREELEY -- Northern Colorado (2-3-1) prepares for a long week of soccer when it begins a three-match week against the Wyoming Cowgirls (3-3-1). The Bears also begin a six-match streak away from home at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 18 in Laramie, Wyo., at the Madrid Sports Complex.
Northern Colorado put on an offensive show in its previous weekend match-up against New Mexico State. The Bears shot 25 times, the most since shooting 27 at home against South Dakota on Sept. 25, 2011. UNC shot seven on goal compared to NMSU's five. All were saved leading to a double-overtime scenario. The Bears were presented with two quality shot opportunities in the second overtime, but failed to convert to finalize the 0-0 tie.
Wyoming was swept over its weekend slate at home, first by Weber State on Friday and followed by New Mexico State on Sunday. The Cowgirls scored the first two goals within 13 minutes against the Big Sky's Wildcats. Weber State followed the latter goal with one of its own in the 19th minute. Scoring ceased until Weber State converted the match-tying goal in the 79th minute followed by the game-winner in the 87th to set the final at 3-2.
Despite outshooting the Aggies, the Cowgirls were unable to put a score on the board in its second match of the weekend. The match went 50 minutes without scoring until NMSU put a cross from a free kick into the net. The final score would stand, 1-0, in favor of New Mexico State.
The Bears and Cowgirls last met on Sept. 6, 2012 in Greeley, Colo. The Bears were shutout for the sixth time in series history and lost, 2-0. Natalie D'Adamio was in the net for the Bears and saved five shots.
Both teams will be meeting for the 11th all-time match-up. The Bears have been outscored in the series, 14-5, and are 1-4-0 at Laramie.
Game 7: Northern Colorado (2-3-1, 0-0-0 Big Sky) vs. Wyoming (3-3-1, 0-0-0 Mountain West)
When: 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18
Where: Laramie, Wyo. - Madrid Sports Complex
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (124-119-24 @ UNC) vs. Cowgirls - Pete Cuadrado (11-11-3 @ UW)
All-time series: Wyoming leads 8-2. Northern Colorado is 1-4 all-time at Wyoming.
2003 Wyoming 1-0
2004 Wyoming 1-0 (2OT)
2005 Wyoming 2-1
2006 Wyoming 1-0
2007 Wyoming 3-0
2008 Northern Colorado 1-0
2009 Wyoming 1-0
2010 Northern Colorado 2-1
2011 Wyoming 2-1 (2OT)
2012 Wyoming 2-0
- Northern Colorado and Wyoming have met every year since 2000 (including exhibitions).
- Tim Barrera has coached in every meeting with Wyoming and holds a 2-8 record against.
- The Bears are 2-3 against the Cowgirls in the past five matches. The Bears trail in the scoring category, 6-4, during that time period.
- Senior Danielle Birdsall scored two goals in the Bears' last win against the Cowgirls on Aug. 20, 2010. Birdsall won the Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year that season and returns in 2013 after missing 2012 with injury.
- Senior Alexsys Tamayo assisted in Northern Colorado's last goal at Wyoming on Oct. 2, 2011.
- The Bears had three true freshman tally assists at Nebraska-Omaha, the first time happening in the program's Division I history.
- Senior Natalie D'Adamio moved into ninth place all-time in program history in saves against the Creighton Bluejays on Sept. 1. She saved seven shots to put her career total at 106.
- UNC returns five student-athletes from the 2012 Big Sky All-Conference team.
- D'Adamio won 2012 Big Sky Goalkeeper of the Year and All-Conference first team honors.
- Sophomore Adrienne Jordan joined D'Adamio on the first team, the first true freshman to be named to the team in Bears Division I history.
- The Bears finished 2012 with a conference record of 4-2-3, one point shy of qualifying for the Big Sky Tournament.