Soccer Preview: Air Force
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky notes
GREELEY --The Bears will take on the Falcons at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 2 in Greeley at Jackson Stadium. UNC is looking to continue a six-game winning streak against Air Force, last losing in 2004. The Bears have outscored the Falcons, 12-3, in that time frame.
Northern Colorado split this past weekend's matches against Nebraska-Omaha and Creighton in Omaha, Neb.
The Bears first came out hot against the Mavericks, winning 4-1. Sophomore Essence Ortiz-Laneir scored the first two goals of the day, the first on a penalty kick and the second on a corner kick from Kassy Castillo. Sophomore Rebecca Lancia and freshman Paige Morris assisted in the third goal as senior Danielle Birdsall scored a header in from six yards out. Two freshmen helped in the final goal when Katherine Day passed a through ball to Shanlie Anderson who scored on the breakaway goal.
The Bears faced opposite results two days later against the Bluejays. Creighton scored the first two goals of the match before Lancia started UNC's comeback with a goal of her own. A penalty kick from Creighton quickly followed to seal the match. A last goal was scored by the Bluejays to set the final at 4-1.
Air Force was defeated by Colorado last weekend in Boulder, Colo. The Falcons fell to the score of 2-0 to the Buffaloes. The loss was the team's second in a row while it is still looking to earn its first win on the season.
The Bears and Falcons last met on Sept. 2, 2011. It was also the fifth match of the season. Senior Brittany Dunn scored the only goal of the match in the 72nd minute to give UNC the win, 1-0.
Game 1: Northern Colorado (1-3-0, 0-0-0 Big Sky) vs. Air Force (0-2-1, 0-0-0 Mountain West)
When: 7:00 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6
Where: Greeley, Colo. - Jackson Stadium
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (123-119-23 @ UNC) vs. Falcons - Larry Friend (22-45-10 @ AF)
All-time series: Northern Colorado leads 8-4-0. The Bears are 4-1-0 all-time at home.
1992 Northern Colorado 2-1
1992 Northern Colorado 5-1
1993 Air Force 3-1
1994 Air Force 2-1
1995 Air Force 2-1
2004 Air Force 1-0
2006 Northern Colorado 1-0 (2OT)
2007 Northern Colorado 3-1
2008 Northern Colorado 2-1 (OT)
2009 Northern Colorado 3-1
2010 Northern Colorado 2-0
2011 Northern Colorado 1-0
- The Bears had three true freshmen tally assists against Nebraska-Omaha, the first time happening in one game in the program's Division I history.
- Senior Natalie D'Adamio moved into ninth place all-time in program history in saves against the Creighton Bluejays on Sept. 1. She saved seven shots to put her career total at 106. She is 40 away from eighth place.
- D'Adamio enters 2013 as the reigning Big Sky Goalkeeper of the Year along with first team All-Conference honors.
- The Bears return five student-athletes from the 2012 Big Sky All-Conference Team.
- Sophomore Adrienne Jordan joined D'Adamio on the Big Sky first team, the first Bears freshman named to the team since joining Division I.
- Senior Danielle Birdsall (missed 2012 with injury) won Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year in 2010.
- Northern Colorado is 17-11-1 all-time in home openers in program history.
- Northern Colorado has won six straight matches against Air Force. The last loss came in 2004 in a 1-0 match.
- Tim Barrera is 6-1 all-time at Northern Colorado as a coach against Air Force.
- Senior forward Brittany Dunn scored in the two teams' last regular season meeting on Sept. 2, 2011, a 1-0 win by the Bears.
- Birdsall scored two goals against Air Force in 2012 in two exhibition matches. Junior Julianna Grover also scored once in one of the two exhibitions against the Falcons.
- Northern Colorado won its first ever Big Sky regular season title in 2011 after posting a 4-1-2 conference record.
- The Bears began their transition to the NCAA Division I level in 2003-04 and were postseason eligible for the first time in 2007-08.