September 1, 2013

Second half comeback falls short for Bears Soccer

Collin Boyles

OMAHA, Neb. -- Northern Colorado was unable to secure a weekend sweep in Omaha, Neb., Sunday as a second half comeback fell short. The Bears fall to 1-3 on the season in the 4-1 loss to Creighton.

"We played better in the second half and put pressure on them," head coach Tim Barrera said. "The changing point in the game was when the referee called hand ball in the box against Paige Morris. Those are always subjective calls, but he called it and they converted it. That kind of gave them the game."

Creighton scored first early in the game as the ball was deflected off a defender to Alyssa Jara. Jara then scored the deflection from 12 yards out. The rest of the first half was back and forth action between the two, until the 40th minute when Creighton went on the attack with four shots including two headers, none scoring.

A change in formation out of halftime led to the pressure put on Creighton. Sophomore Rebecca Lancia began to lead the comeback on the road 10 minutes into the second half.

"We hit the ball across and (Lancia) found the goal," Barrera said. "It was a good goal, kind of got us back in the game."

In just another 10 minutes, Creighton sealed the game on the hand ball penalty against Morris. Kelsey O'Donnell scored the penalty kick in the 67th minute. The Bluejays would score one more time before the game was over to set the final at 4-1.

"We have to work on defending and getting faster and getting better in the final third," Barrera said. "We'd taken some injuries, but the effort was good today. Different players did good things, but we just need to be more consistent."

On the day the Bears totaled 11 shots, five on goal. The Bluejays totaled 19, 11 on goal. Senior Natalie D'Adamio saved seven shots compared to the Bluejays' Danielle Rice with four. Northern Colorado did not record a corner kick on the day.

The Bears return home for its next contest on Friday. Northern Colorado will play host to Air Force at 7 p.m. at Jackson Field.