Hopkin Ranked 20th Nationally at 197 Pounds in InterMat Rankings
Jan. 10, 2006
GREELEY, Colo. - University of Northern Colorado redshirt sophomore wrestler Reece Hopkin is ranked 20th nationally at the 197 pound weight class in the latest InterMat/NWCA/NWMA Division I Individual Rankings, which were released on Tuesday.
The national ranking is the first obtained by a Northern Colorado wrestler since the Bears began the reclassification process to Division I. The Northern Colorado wrestling program will officially be eligible for the NCAA Championships beginning in 2006-07.
Hopkin is currently 13-4 on the season at 197 pounds, including a pinfall victory over Boise State's Casey Phelps, who is ranked 11th in this week's national rankings. Hopkin was 4-0 last Saturday at the Lone Star Duals in Dallas, winning three matches at 197 and bumping up to heavyweight for the team's finale, a match that he won to help the Bears to a victory over Clarion.
Hopkin is a combined 28-10 in his two seasons with the Bears.
Northern Colorado (2-2 in duals) is back in action on Monday, Jan. 16 when they travel to Orem, Utah to battle Utah Valley State at 7 p.m.
197 Pounds Rankings
1. Michalak, Wynn - Central Michigan, So
2. Rosholt, Jake - Oklahoma State, Sr
3. Flaggert, Joel - Oklahoma, Jr
4. Padden, B.J. - Nebraska, Jr
5. Cerminara, Kyle - Buffalo, Jr
6. Richardson, Brady - Indiana, Sr
7. Davis, Philip - Penn State, So
8. Byrd, Tyrone - Illinois, Sr
9. Rinaldi, Jerry - Cornell, Jr
10. Delguyd, Matt - Northwestern, Sr
11. Phelps, Casey - Boise State, Sr
12. Goodman, Ryan - North Carolina State, Fr
13. Montiero, Matt - Cal Poly, Jr
14. Bader, Ryan - Arizona State, Sr
15. Foust, Jeff - Missouri, Sr
16. Cassidy, Matt - Lehigh, Jr
17. Burns, Daren - UNC Greensboro, Jr
18. McLean, Brenden - Air Force, Sr
19. Herbst, Dallas - Wisconsin, Fr
20. Hopkin, Reece - Northern Colorado, So