Men's Tennis Falls in Season Opener
Jan. 30, 2008
Denver, Colo.- The University of Northern Colorado kicked off its 2008 season against the #66 University of Denver last weekend at the Meadow Creek Club in Denver. The Bears were unable to pull out a victory dropping the match 7-0.
Sophomore Vinnie Fallico came close to forcing a third set against the Pioneers' number-two singles, sophomore Andrew Landwerlen, 6-1, 7-5. Fallico paired up with senior Paul Tschetter to form the Bear's number-one doubles pair. They fell to Landwerlen and sophomore David Simson 8-2. Tschetter also faced Simson in the number-three singles match, losing 6-0, 6-1.
The Bear's number-one singles, Austin Nunn, fell to DU's two time all-conference winner Niklas Persson 6-1, 6-0. Senior Nunn teamed up with Ryan Dunn for the Bear's number-two doubles pair. They faced off against the Pioneers' Persson and Kalle Rosen to post the Bear's closest double match, 8-3. Dunn faced Rosen in the number-five singles match. Rosen won the match 6-1, 6-2.
The University of Denver is 2-0 after sweeping the Air Force Academy 7-0 the day before facing the Northern Colorado Bears.
The Bears take three weeks off until returning home to face the South Dakota State Jackrabbits at 9:00 a.m. Friday, February 15 at Work Out West.
1. Andrew Landwerlen / David Simson (DU) def. Paul Tschetter/Vinnie Fallico (UNC) 8-2
2. Niklas Persson / Kalle Rosen (DU) def. Ryan Dunn/Austin Nunn (UNC) 8-3
3. Adam Holmstrom / Ravjot Dhatt (DU) def. Werner/Eric Morin (UNC) 8-1
1. Persson (DU) def. Austin Nunn (UNC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Landwerlen (DU) def. Vinnie Fallico (UNC) 6-1, 7-5
3. Simson (DU) vs. Paul Tschetter (UNC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Rosen (DU) def. Ryan Dunn (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Dhatt (DU) def. Eric Morin (UNC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Varun Gunaseelan (DU) def. Andrew Buzaku (UNC) 6-1, 6-1