UNC to travel to Wyoming before Big Sky opener
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky notes
GREELEY -- Only one more game remains before the start of the much anticipated Big Sky Conference schedule. The Cowboys of Wyoming will host the Bears in a rivalry that dates back to 1908.
The Bears (6-2) finish up the non-conference schedule at 4 p.m. at the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie, Wyo., against the Cowboys (7-3). The matchup will be the only road game for UNC in a nine-game span.
Northern Colorado won its previous game against UC Riverside at home, 63-60. Big Sky Co-Player of the Week Tate Unruh (Branson, Mo.) gave his team the edge it needed to pull out the close win. The senior guard scored 15 first half points including five 3-point shots. He finished with 24 points and 10 rebounds, his second career double-double, and converted a career-best six 3-pt FGs. The Bears finished on a 7-0 run over the last 3:12 to outlast the Highlanders.
A watch party will be held at The Dugout in Greeley at game time.
Game 9: Northern Colorado (6-2, 0-0 Big Sky) vs. Wyoming (7-3, 0-0 MW)
When: 4:00 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 22
Where: Arena-Auditorium – Laramie, Wyo.
Coaches: Bears - B.J. Hill (49-50 @ UNC) vs. UW – Larry Shyatt (67-38 @ UW)
All-time series: UW, 52-19
Series Record (Last Five)
2012-13 Wyoming 69-60 (Greeley, Colo.)
2011-12 Wyoming 75-56 (Laramie, Wyo.)
2010-11 Northern Colorado 67-53 (Greeley, Colo.)
2009-10 Wyoming 76-70 (Casper, Wyo.)
2005-06 Wyoming 83-70 (Laramie, Wyo.)
- Northern Colorado and Wyoming continue a long-lasting tradition while meeting for the 72nd time in the series. The Cowboys hold the edge, 52-19, including wins in 23 of the last 24 games. The Bears last won against Wyoming on Nov. 16, 2010 in a 67-53 game at home. The Bears are 7-26 all-time at Laramie, Wyo.
- Senior guard Tate Unruh is the only current Bears player on the roster for the 2010 win against the Cowboys. Junior forward Tim Huskisson has totaled the most points among current Bears against Wyoming in the teams' previous two matchups. Huskisson totaled 16 pointswhile senior center Connor Osborne totaled 10 rebounds in the two games.
- Nothern Colorado is holding teams to a lower score than any other in the Big Sky Conference. A scoring defense of 64.8 and a scoring margin of +9.9 both rank first in the conference.
- The conference lead in scoring defense is thanks to the Big Sky's top field goal defense and 3-pt defending team. The Bears are holding opponents to a .400 FG percentage and a .302 3-pt FG percentage.
- UNC is faring well on both sides of the boards, grabbing a second-best Big Sky total of 37.6 rebounds per game while allowing 33.9 per game. The +3.8 rebound margin stands as the Big Sky leader.