Men's Basketball looks for fourth straight against Portland State
When: 7:05 p.m. (MT) Thursday, Jan. 12
Where: Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion (2,992)
Live stats: uncbears.com
Radio: KFKA-AM 1310 (Troy Coverdale)
TV: Big Sky TV (Troy Coverdale)
Coaches: UNC's B.J. Hill (26-20 overall; second season) takes on PSU's Tyler Geving (34-44; third season)
All-time series: Portland St. leads 11-3 and won the first 11 meetings. The Bears have won three straight, though (9.6 pts. margin)
- After spending all but one of its first six games on the road this season, Northern Colorado will continue a stretch Thursday night of playing eight of 10 at home in December and January, with its two road contests in the stretch coming at then 11th-ranked Marquette and at Sacramento State.
- Following Saturday's matchup with Eastern Washington, the Bears will play five of six games on the road.
- The Bears are looking Thursday night to start with at least three wins in their first four Big Sky games for the second straight year. Northern Colorado started last year's league play with wins at Portland State and Eastern Washington en route to a 7-0 start and a first Big Sky Conference regular-season title.
- Northern Colorado is just 3-11 all-time against Portland State, but those three wins have come in the teams' last three meetings. The Bears ended the 2009-10 season with a victory against the Viks and then swept them last season.
- Tevin Svihovec earned his first career start against Johnson & Wales on Dec. 3, and the redshirt-freshman has been going gangbusters ever since. In the seven games since (all starts) Svihovec has averaged nine points per game and 2.7 rebounds per game. He put in a career-high 16 points on Saturday night, Jan. 7, at Sacramento State.
- It should come as little surprise, but it's still worth noting: when Northern Colorado has flexed its defensive muscle over the last two seasons (Hill's tenure as head coach), it's usually won. The Bears are 5-1 this season and 18-4 in the last two years when allowing fewer than 70 points to their opponent.
- On the flipside, if Northern Colorado allows its foe to get to 80 points or more, it's winless this season (0-4) and 1-7 under coach Hill.
- With its 1-1 record so far this January, Northern Colorado is 26-39 in January games during its NCAA Division I era (ninth season)
- Northern Colorado, which won Saturday, Jan. 7, vs. Sacramento State, is 17-8 under Hill following a loss, with a 1-3 mark in those situations this season.