Men's hoops takes perfect mark on the road
OGDEN, Utah -- Northern Colorado basketball (11-7, 7-0 Big Sky) heads to Ogden, Utah, on Saturday night to take on Weber State (9-9, 3-4) in the Big Sky Conference Game of the Week.
The Bears and the Wildcats faced off last Saturday, with Northern Colorado claiming a lopsided 65-46 win. And now, thanks to a scheduling quirk in the Big Sky, both teams have had a week to stew in prepartion for Saturday night's rematch.
Northern Colorado, winners of seven in a row, has eyes on winning eight games in a row in a single season for the second straight year and just the 10th time in 107 seasons of play. The Bears could also Saturday night improve to 8-0 in conference play (any conference) for the first time ever.
Following Saturday night's contest, the Bears will head south to take on Northern Arizona (11-8, 3-4) in Flagstaff. That matchup will feature the Big Sky's top two scorers in Devon Betizel (18.6 ppg) and NAU's Cameron Jones (20.2). Those two are also two of just 10 finalists for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, which was released this week.
- Game 19 & 20: Northern Colorado (11-7; 7-0 Big Sky) at Weber State (9-9; 3-4 Big Sky) and Northern Arizona (11-8, 3-4 Big Sky)
- When: 7:05 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 29 and 6:35 p.m. Monday, Jan. 31
- Where: Dee Events Center (12,000) and Rolle Activity Center (950)
- Coaches: UNC's B.J. Hill (11-7; 7-0 Big Sky) vs. WSU's Randy Rahe (86-55; 52-18 Big Sky) and NAU's Mike Adras (183-158, 93-80 Big Sky)
- All-time series: Weber State leads 6-3 in a series that started with Big Sky play in 2006; NAU leads 6-5 in a series that started in 1983-84
- TV: WSU game -- Altitude; NAU game -- FSN-Arizona
- Radio: KFKA-AM 1310
- Live stream: www.b2tv.com
Going for eight ... and then maybe nine
- A Northern Colorado victory Saturday night against Weber State would give the Bears eight straight wins for the second straight season after they started last year's historic run with wins in their first eight contests.
- Another win on Monday night at Northern Arizona would give Northern Colorado nine straight wins for the first time since 1989, when it won 10 straight.
- Northern Colorado has won eight or more consecutive games in a single season just 10 times in 107 seasons of play.
- UNC has won eight or more consecutive games in a single season in 1926 (10), 1932 (eight), 1933 (nine), 1941 (nine), 1949 (nine),1964-65 (nine), 1966-67 (14), 1989 (10), 2002 (eight) and 2009 (eight).
- The Bears' record for single-season consecutive victories is 14, set during the 1966-67 campaign.
The significance of seven
- The Bears enter this weekend's play with a perfect 7-0 mark in Big Sky play for the first time ever.
- Northern Colorado is 7-0 in conference play (any conference) for the first time since the 1959-60 season.
- The Bears have never been 8-0 in conference play, dating all the way back to the 1924-25 season, when Northern Colorado first accepted a conference affiliation (Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference).
- Northern Colorado's 7-0 start is the third-best Big Sky start over the last 10 seasons, with Weber State starting 14-0 during the 2002-03 season and Northern Arizona starting 8-0 in 2005-06.
- Six teams have started at least 6-0 in Big Sky play over the last decade (Weber State, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Montana State twice and Idaho State) and only Eastern Washington in 2002-03 did not win at least a share of the regular-season title.