November 30, 2009
Home and conference openers await men's basketball
Week 4: Colorado State, at Montana State and Montana
Colorado notes | Big
Sky Conference notes | Colorado
GREELEY, Colo. -- Northern Colorado (6-0) will
finally get to play before its home fans on Tuesday, Dec. 1, when
instate-rival Colorado State (4-2) comes calling at 7:05 p.m.
inside Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. The Bears will then begin
conference play on Friday and Saturday, against Montana State (2-3)
and Montana (4-2).
COLORADO BASKETBALL 'DID YOU KNOW?'
- Northern Colorado coach Tad Boyle is in his fourth season with
the Bears and holds a 37-58 record.
- The Bears began their transition to the NCAA Division I level
in 2003-04 and were postseason eligible for the first time in
- Northern Colorado is off to a 6-0 start to a season for the
first time since the 1963-64 campaign and third time overall
(1930-31) since it began playing collegiate basketball in 1901.
- The Bears started 7-0 in both 1964 and 1931 but then lost their
eighth contest. A win Tuesday and Friday night would be
- Northern Colorado just completed an undefeated November (6-0)
for just the fourth time in program history. The Bears previously
were perfect in November in 1984 (4-0), 1978 (1-0) and 1976 (1-0).
So, the Bears have been undefeated on Dec. 1 just four times since
- Northern Colorado received 112 points and the #23 national
ranking in this week’s CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25
poll after debuting at #25 last week, marking the Bears’
first apperance in aNCAA Division I national poll.
- The Bears are 6-0 in road or neutral contests this season after
finishing 4-14 in those games last season.
- The Bears are one of just 15 college basketball teams (out of
346) in the nation that didn’t play a home game in November.
Northern Colorado, which has its home opener Tuesday, Dec. 1,
against Colorado State, is the only one of those 15 teams to be
- NC’s Dec. 1 home opener is its latest since 1990, when
the Bears defeated Doane College 101-92 on Dec. 1.
- Northern Colorado will start its 2009-10 Big Sky Conference
schedule on Friday night, Dec. 4, with a game against Montana
State. That will be the earliest a Bears team has ever started a
conference season. The previous earliest mark came on Dec. 8, 2001.
- Northern Colorado is 36-65 all-time against Colorado State. The
Bears are 24-25 against the Rams in Greeley.
- The Bears are 14-31 all-time against Montana State, after
spending time as RMAC rivals. NC is 3-3 against the Bobcats in the
- Northern Colorado is 3-8 all-time against Montana and 1-5
against the Grizzlies in Big Sky games. The Bears got their first
win against Montana last season (67-57) since 1977-78.